1/06/2017

Review of 'The Perks of being a Wallflower'

Review of 'The perks of Being a Wallflower' by Stephen Chbosky

"And in that moment, I swear we were infinite"

4/5 Stars

Facts:
Author: Stephen Chbosky
Pages: 240
Price: £5.99
Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK

 
Plot:
Charlie is a freshman. And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it. Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix-tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But Charlie can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

Opinion:
„The Perks of Being a Wallflower“ wasn’t that convincing for me. I really like the style of writing of Chbosky a lot. I think the whole Idea of the story is quite beautiful but it isn’t worked out that great if you ask me. Charlie, the protagonist of the story, is sometimes hard to understand and often I asked myself why he did something or why he didn’t do it. Also he is quite labile which means that he cries very often and which is unreasonable in most of the moments.
The whole book consists of letters which Charlie sends to a “friend” of him, who he actually doesn’t know.  In those letters he reports about his day. So he tells what happened and what he is feeling and thinking. So theoretically it is like a diary  and that is why the reader is very close to the story.
The story is also about books, movies, songs, quotes and other things. That’ great! Especially when it is about books and quotes which are very familiar to me.
The real life is represented quite well because not everything is perfect and the reader gets to know it. I knew the movie before reading the book and actually like it more. But I can still recommend the book because the content is worth reading it. Even if I didn’t find it fantastic I think I’ll reread it at some point.
 

Get the book here: Amazon.co.uk 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment