4/26/2017

Review of 'The Reader'

 Review of 'The Reader - A Sea of Ink and Gold' by Traci Chee

"Once there was and once there will be. This is the beginning of every story"

5/5*

Facts:
Author: Traci Chee
Pages: 464
Price: $ 8.68
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

Plot: 
Sefia knows what it means to survive. After her father is brutally murdered, she flees into the wilderness with her aunt Nin, who teaches her to hunt, track, and steal. But when Nin is kidnapped, leaving Sefia completely alone, none of her survival skills can help her discover where Nin’s been taken, or if she’s even alive. The only clue to both her aunt’s disappearance and her father’s murder is the odd rectangular object her father left behind, an object she comes to realize is a book—a marvelous item unheard of in her otherwise illiterate society. With the help of this book, and the aid of a mysterious stranger with dark secrets of his own, Sefia sets out to rescue her aunt and find out what really happened the day her father was killed—and punish the people responsible.

Opinion:

I found this book through an excerpt and the first two pages convinced me at all. The whole world is explained in there and the author talks to the reader. What I love about this book is that most of the people there aren’t able to read or write while we as the reader read every single word just to know that they do this or not.
In the book itself are three stories which blur into each other. The main story is the one of Sefia. This one is great. I realized quite fast what it is about. The story of captain Lees wasn’t that easy at first but when I understand what it is about and how it is connected with the other story it was great to read his parts. And then there are Tanin and the others. Here it took also a bit until I understand it and the reasons but then it was great.
I liked the book especially because it is different. The world itself is like ours, just more in the past so without the technical stuff (but I don’t know when the story takes place) and there is also a small touch of magic and the big point: It is not a love story.
I find it thrilling to read about the connections between captain Lees and the book. I like that the pages in which Sefia reads out of the book, are grey, but this was confusing in the beginning.
On the bottom of some of the pages sometimes is written a single word which added all together a message. I liked this little bonus challenge a lot.
The end was really surprising and there was a twist which I didn’t expect at all. When I’ll read the book again (planning to!) then I guess I would see some people in a different way which would make thing interesting again.
I can recommend it to all who would like to have a break from the standard YA books and like the things I mentioned before. 


Get the book here: Amazon.com
Source of Plot:https://www.amazon.com/Reader-Sea-Ink-Gold/dp/0399176772/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493218057&sr=8-1&keywords=a+sea+of+ink+and+gold
Source of Picture: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61TTx3yzmtL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg



No comments:

Post a Comment